Category Archives: WAIA Monthly Reports

WAIA MEETING FEBRUARY 2017

Minutes: Executive Committee and Board of Directors Meetings

021417-WAIA-Minutes-Provisional

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

[Pending Approval by Board of Directors on March 14, 2017]

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Chair (Matt): The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. Jonathan W. has resigned from both Executive Committee and as Office Committee Chair (not an elected position); Jeff will take over as Office Committee Chair; At-Large Executive Committee member can be filled by Chair with approval of Executive Committee; Matt will seek worthy candidates. Currently no effective system to ensure that two volunteers are present in the WAIA office at all times; this is considered an issue of safety/liability/AA principle (e.g., two people for 12-stepping). Most 7:00-10:00 P.M. shifts are staffed by only one volunteer. A major recruiting strategy is needed (e.g., announcement in New Reporter). Some other cities have
groups sponsor specific shifts; adequate training of new volunteers will be needed. Office Committee is charged to collecte and consider ideas and make recommendations in a few months. A speaker has been arranged for the Gala: Pat M. from Northern MD/Southern PA; Claire has Gala tickets; the technology may be in place to enable payment through the website.

Office Administrator (Luella): January Calls: 524 calls, 46 for help, 47 walk-ins, 1 “No Meeting” call “Live from Clarksburg” – meeting deleted from website. Volunteers are needed at the desk, 3 slots open: Wednesday 7:00-10:00 P.M., Thursday 7:00-10:00 P.M. and Saturday 4:00-7:00 P.M. A total of about 302 Gratitude Boxes were distributed. Through 1/30/17 contributions have been received from 158 groups for a total of $20,609.32. Contributions from individuals in 2016 totaled $13,219.00. Contribution acknowledgement letters were mailed on 1/31/17. The March issue of the New Reporter and the digital.New.Reporter will go out by the end next week.

Treasurer (David D.): Our accountant filed our sales tax liability with the DC Office of Tax Revenue; however, our filing was returned for additional information. They required some additional forms and an official copy of our Articles of Incorporation. Also, they do not accept checks and require us to pay electronically. Luella obtained the Articles of Incorporation from the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs and we are establishing an account to allow for electronic payments. The accountant is preparing the refiling this week and we expect to complete the process this month. Our accountant has also recommended that we not refile our 2014 IRS form 990 but instead use the 2016 form 990 to
show the offsetting adjustment to 2015. This will save us the expense (several thousand dollars) of refiling the 2014 and 2015 990s and recreating the 2014 books. It is the judgment of our accountant that the costs are not justified as our 2016 990 will resolve the issues that we were concerned about in the 2014 and 2015 filings. I am comfortable proceeding as they suggest and will tell them so tomorrow unless instructed otherwise. Finally, we hope to have the Profit and Loss Statement for the first quarter of 2017 as part of the Treasurer’s report at the May meeting. This will include comparisons to 2015, 2016 and 2017 budget numbers with new simpler categories. There is still a need for an Assistant Treasurer.

Finance (Karen): No Report; however, the Finance Committee needs a Co-Chair.

Old Business: None

New Business: None

General Discussion:

Alex (Website/Technology): According to the WAIA Bylaws, all Committee Chairs must be a Group Representative; although Margaux is ready to resign in favor of Alex becoming Chair, this requirement must be met or waived. One-year of web hosting will cost $150.00. Payment to Josh (contractor for web design) is approximately $600.00 over the budgeted amount; this additional expenditure was approved by the Executive Committee; future payments for maintenance will be made monthly.
Jeff (Office Committee): The Executive Committee approved Jeff as the new Chair of the Office Committee. That Committee will next meet on Tuesday, February 21; the Committee roster listings has been revised. A compilation of vacant service positions is appended (q.v. infra, “Love and Service Opportunities”).

The meeting of the Executive Committee adjourned at 7:29 P.M.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The Chair (Matt; chair@aa-dc.org) called the meeting to order at 8:00 P.M., followed by a group recitation of the Serenity Prayer. Margaux read the WAIA Preamble. New Representatives/Board Members and Alternates self-introduced and were directed to Adrian for copies of the new member packet; David H., Chair of the Rules Committee, has copies of the WAIA Bylaws available upon request; Matt emphasized the importance of abiding by those guidelines. Members of the Executive Committee self-introduced. Matt recommended brevity of Committee reports, as appropriate. There is an open
position on the Executive Committee. The Bylaws allow appointment by the Board Chair with the approval of the Executive Committee; there is currently one candidate but other interested parties should contact Matt. The January 10, 2017 Minutes were approved as corrected. Following the Office Administrator report, Matt emphasized the ongoing discussion of need for two office volunteers on each shift.

EXECUTIVE AND CHARTERED COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Office Administrator (Luella; administrator@aa-dc.org): January Calls: 524 calls, 46 for help, 47 walk-ins, 1 “No Meeting” call “Live from Clarksburg” – meeting deleted from website. Volunteers are needed at the desk, 3 slots open: Wednesday 7:00-10:00 P.M., Thursday 7:00-10:00 P.M. and Saturday 4:00-7:00 P.M. A total of about 302 Gratitude Boxes were distributed. Through 1/30/17 contributions have been received from 158 groups for a total of $20,609.32. Contributions from individuals in 2016 totaled $13,219.00. Contribution acknowledgement letters were mailed on 1/31/17. The March issue of the New Reporter and the digital.New.Reporter will go out by the end next week.

Treasurer (David D.; treasurer@aa-dc.org): Our accountant filed our sales tax liability with the DC Office of Tax Revenue; however, our filing was returned for additional information. They required some additional forms and an official copy of our Articles of Incorporation. Also, they do not accept checks and require us to pay electronically. Luella obtained the Articles of Incorporation from the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs and we are establishing an account to allow for electronic payments. The accountant is preparing the refiling this week and we expect to complete the process this month. Our accountant has also recommended that we not refile our 2014 IRS form 990 but instead use the 2016 form 990 to show the offsetting adjustment to 2015. This will save us the expense (several thousand dollars) of refiling the 2014 and 2015 990s and recreating the 2014 books. It is the judgment of our accountant that the costs are not justified as our 2016 990 will resolve the issues that we were concerned about in the 2014 and 2015 filings. I am comfortable proceeding as they suggest and will tell them so tomorrow unless instructed otherwise. Finally, we hope to have the Profit and Loss Statement for the first quarter of 2017 as part of the Treasurer’s report at the May meeting. This will include comparisons to 2015, 2016 and 2017 budget numbers with new simpler categories. There is still a need for an Assistant Treasurer.

Executive Committee Meeting (Terry; secretary@aa-dc.org): Officers, Committee Chairs, Liaisons and all others providing oral reports at the meeting were requested to either write any critical elements or submit those data by E-mail to ensure their accuracy. The discussions conducted during the meeting of the Executive Committee were summarized.

Finance Committee (Karen; finance@aa-dc.org): No Report; however, the Finance Committee needs a Co-Chair.

Elections Committee (Ralph; elections@aa-dc.org): No Report

Hospitals and Institutions Committee (Dave B.; hni@aa-dc.org): No Report

Literature Committee (Mike; literature@aa-dc.org): No Report

Nightwatch Committee (David for Richard; nightwatch@aa-dc.org): There is a need for volunteers to cover the Monday 10:00 P.M.-10:00 A.M. shift.

Office Committee (Jeff; office@aa-dc.org): He reviewed the many functions of the office from the service manual. The Office Committee meets on the third Thursdays at 7:30 P.M. at the WAIA office. The attached “Love and Service” list will appear in the New Reporter and the digital.New.Reporter in March.

Outreach Committee (Adrian; outreach@aa-dc.org): A draft document, entitled, “Does your AA group support AA service activities?” was provided. It was suggested that it be taken to groups for suggestions for improvement. The Committee is surveying alternate sites for the monthly Board meetings; there is currently one candidate location, but they are still open to other suggestions. We may need to vacate the current ABW site by the end of May. In order to facilitate the search process, the following motion was raised, seconded and approved: MOTION: An ad hoc Committee is to be formed to
investigate new sites for the monthly Board meetings. Adrian and David agreed to Co-Chair the new Committee.

Rules Committee (David H.; rules@aa-dc.org): No Report

Website (Technology) Committee (Alex; website@aa-dc.org): Matt explained that Alex is not currently a Group Representative, which would preclude service as Chair. In order to waive this requirement, the Board Chair asked the Board for any objections to his service as Chair; none was raised, so Alex is the new Chair. He presented a visual projection of the features of the new website. The Committee will meet monthly on the Wednesday before the Board meeting. The webpage permitting monetary contributions is expected to be up-and-running by the end of this week.

Registrar (Mike for David S.; registrar@aa-dc.org): Any Group Representatives or Alternates not already signed in were asked to do so and he requested that any new Representatives or Alternates fill out the appropriate forms at the Registrar table. In attendance were: 36 Voting Representatives, 0 Voting Alternates, 0 Non-Voting Alternates and 0 Visitors/Guests, for a total eligible voter count: 36

OLD BUSINESS: None

NEW BUSINESS: (see Motion in Outreach Committee report)

AD HOC COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Archives Committee (Nat for Barry; archives@aa-dc.org): No Report

Gala Committee (Claire, gala@aa-dc.org; 240/595-3457): The 75th Gala Dinner/Dance will be held on April 15 (Saturday, 6:00 P.M.-Midnight) at the Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Place [8525 Fenton Street], Silver Spring, MD 20910. The Committee is seeking volunteers for April 15 service. Tickets are currently on sale. As a start-up incentive, the price will be $45.00 each for the first 100 tickets, beginning today (February 14); the remainder of the tickets will sell for $50.00. each. Sales are not yet available directly on line.

Grapevine (Carlos; grapevine@area13aa.org; 202/607-3087): No Report

Hospitality Committee (; hospitality@aa-dc.org): Matt extended thanks to Mike for preparing the coffee and for providing the Valentine candies. Five volunteers to help with cleanup were identified. Although no one has yet agreed to serve as the new Chair for this Committee, Una agreed to work with Mike next month (March).

New Reporter Committee (Tony; newreporter@aa-dc.org): No Report

Old Timers Committee (Bob G.; oldtimers@aa-dc.org): No Report

Public Information/Cooperation with the Professional Community Committee (Pat G.; publicinfo@aa-dc.org; cpc@aa- dc.org):

Special Needs Committee (Andrea; specialneeds@aa-dc.org): No Report

Young People in AA Committee (Jason; www.dcypaa.org): No Report

LIAISON REPORTS ABOUT RELATED GROUPS:

Washington Area General Service Assembly (Terry; secretary@aa-dc.org): The Washington Area General Service Assembly (WAGSA) met as the triennial business Assembly (Winter Assembly) on Saturday, January 21 and as the monthly informational Committee on Monday, February 13.

At the Winter Assembly, the Delegate reported the theme for the 2017 General Service Conference as, “Supporting Our Future” and cited as a resource the pamphlet P-45, “Circles of Love and Service.” The annual Mini-Conference, to advise the Delegate regarding a selected number of discussion topics is being planned by the Alternate Delegate, a new position, the roles for which are still being flexibly defined. A motion to disband the ad hoc New Members Transition and Inreach Committee was passed. Several clarifying changes to the WAGSA Handbook, proposed by the Policy and Procedures Committee several months earlier, were also approved.

At the Committee meeting, yesterday (February 13), the Chairperson announced that Districts 1 and 2 (in DC) have planned a combined workshop at the Triangle Club on March 4. The Alternate Delegate reported that the Mini-Conference is tentatively scheduled for April 15. The Delegate provided a new infographic, which presented several issues to be considered at the General Service Conference. He has been conferring with local members who have registered for the Northeast Regional AA Service Assembly (February 24-26) and encouraged attendance by all who might be able to do so. He introduced the new AAWS Service Material Factsheet, SMF-209, “Safety and AA: Our Common Welfare” and cited
pamphlet P-8, “Twelve Concepts Illustrated,” both downloadable from aa.org.

Upcoming Dates of Interest:

• February 24-26 (Friday-Sunday): 26th Annual Northeast Regional AA Service Assembly (NERAASA), Sheraton Framingham Hotel and Conference Center, 1657 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01701
• March 4 (Saturday; Noon-3:00 P.M.): Districts 1 and 2 Service Conference, Triangle Club, 2030 P Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20036
• March 13 (Monday; 7:30-9:00 P.M): WAGSA Committee Meeting (Silver Spring Presbyterian Church, 580 University Boulevard, East, Silver Spring, MD 20901)
• April 15 [tentative] (Saturday; 9:30 A.M.-3:00 P.M.): Mini-Conference; site TBD
• May 15-17 (Monday-Wednesday): Veterans Affairs (VA) Healthcare Conference; Washington DC (specific venue TBD); WAGSA will host an information booth and organize a daily AA meeting for attendees.
• May 20 (Saturday; 9:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M.) Capital Trans Pride Day; Studio Theatre, 1501 14th Street N.W., Washington, DC; WAGSA will host an information booth
• July 9-12 (Sunday-Wednesday): National Association of Drug Court Professionals (NADCP) Annual Training Conference; Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, National Harbor, MD; WAGSA will host an information booth and organize a daily AA meeting for attendees.
• September 1-3 (Friday-Sunday): XLV Convention Hispanic of AA; Hilton Baltimore, 401 West Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Northern Virginia Intergroup (Ralph; rjustus@ieee.org; 301/367-5774):

NVI Board meetings: 1st Tuesday of the month

Contacts: Pauline D., Office Manager (703-293-9757) info@nvintergroup.org

RobE H., Chair, Board of Directors chair@nvintergroup.org

February 7 NVI Board Meeting Highlights:

January calls: 208 total: 86 meeting info; 13 newcomer; 56 other

Financials: January contributions $7,000 more than budgeted; Literature sales income $60 below budget; Prudent Reserve of 10 months ($84,239.75 with $8,547 budgeted monthly expenses)

VAC Website: Development is in transition with some group information missing

Upcoming Events (see flyers at: www.nvintergroup.org)

• February 18 (Saturday; 7:30 P.M.->): District 33 Movie Night; Manassas, VA
Movies: Father Martin – Am I My Brother’s Keeper; Crazy Heart

• February 25 (Saturday; 8:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.): District 10 – 20th Annual Day of Sharing; Ashburn, VA
• April 22 (Saturday; 8:00 A.M.-2:30 P.M.): Manassas District Spring Workshop; Manassas, VA
• October 5-8 (Thursday-Sunday): 2017 Intergroup National Seminar; Hyatt Regency, Dulles Airport
• November 12 (Sunday): Gratitude Breakfast

Hispanic Intergroup: No Report

ANNOUNCEMENTS; GROUP ANNIVERSARIES; PERSONAL ANNIVERSARIES; RAFFLE

The meeting of the Board of Directors was adjourned at: 9:07 P.M.

ATTACHMENT: “Love and Service Opportunities”

LOVE AND SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES

WAIA functions are solely supported through your voluntary service and monetary contributions. WAIA maintains 12 step volunteer lists and provides other group support services and Intergroup activities through voluntary efforts of over a dozen WAIA Committees. Your gratitude, love and service, can be expressed through volunteering in one of the following areas.

Chairs up for rotation or vacant:

1. Cooperation with the Professional Community and Public Information Chair.

Committee Membership:

1. Gala Committee needs 2 or 3 additional members.

2. H&I Committee needs 3 additional committee members – one coordinator each for the District of Columbia, Montgomery County, and Prince Georges County.

3. Office Committee needs about 3 new members.

4. Website Committee is expanding into a Technology Committee and need additional committee members who possess various IT skills.

5. Cooperation with the Professional Community and Public Information needs any number of members who may be available during the day to support health fairs and other events.

Desk Volunteers:

1. 2 desk volunteers each for 4 permanent 3 hour shifts.

2. Half dozen floater desk volunteers to fill open positions.

WAIA MEETING JUNE 2016

Washington Area Intergroup Report

  • The committee  reports are on the WAIA website.
  • Desk spots are open for the desk downtown.  Contact WAIA for times and days.
  • WAIA is working on their website.
  • H & I positions are available – this is listed in the digital reporter.
  • WAIA has a Nightwatch service where they forward the phones to someone in the evening, so a drunk in need can speak to another drunk.
  • Needs volunteers for archive duty.  We can have our events archived if we want to.
  • Needs volunteers for health fairs and other festivals to sit at a table with public information.
  • The WAIA no longer has the money from the large bequest.  The judge ordered it returned.
  • First annual sex inventory workshop is open to women only will take place in the northern Virginia area.  Check out the WAIA website for day and time.

WAIA Meeting May 2016

Washington Area Intergroup Report
• Margaret requested that we complete the survey that WAIA was asking for. The group answered the questions and completed the survey. Margaret will send it out.
• A website survey was sent out for WAIA and can be accessed on their website.
• Desk support is needed at WAIA.
• The treasurer reported on the bequest issue. They have decided to ask the court for the case to be reopened. If the verdict remains the same, it was decided $5,000 will go to each intergroup in
the entire country or whatever their bylaws allows them to accept. Margaret will ask what is in place to keep this from happening again.
• Policy and voting rules are under scrutiny.
• The 14 committee reports are on the website.